LInk to web

Thursday, November 10, 2011

November 9 2001

I suppose everyone has been out in the yard today pruning your fig tree? No, you should try it some times. The only thing I know about the job is that it was too big, and it had to come down a notch. I canned 23 jars of fig preservers this summer. They taste great.
This morning started at 5:30 a m and my first e-mail stated that my work was not up to par and that I have to completely re-write my manuscript. Boomer! My next action was to order the book, Techniques of the selling Writer, by Dwight Swain. I bought it. Do you know "Structure?" Well, that's what I have to master. It sounds hard after the first bit of review I did. I've yet to read Mr. Swain's book, but my 1961 Prentice Hall Handbook For Writers gives some very tough views of how too. Also they devote 4 pages of a 589 page book to the term structure. I don't know, this could be even harder.
I have been writing seriously for over 7 years and during that time have spent at least 7 hours per day, five day a week. During that time I have never heard the first word about structure until an editor reviewed one of my manuscripts and said I had to change my ways. Then, of all things an author friend of mine agreed with the editor. Some days you just are glad the coffee was good for breakfast.
Another time, another review!
James M. Copeland

No comments:

Post a Comment